The course’s 5 days will cover the following broad topics:
- Understanding teams and the role of the facilitator
- Identifying needs and issues
- Analyzing complex problems
- Dealing with conflict
- Final day: review, summary, and connecting lessons to real issues
Each day will include group sessions allowing participants to practice skills. The project practice scenarios will involve real conservation scenarios with a focus on practicing tools for facilitating effective group work.
New Mentoring Opportunity
Participants have the option to receive customized, post-training mentoring to develop their plan for implementing the facilitation skills acquired in the course. This opportunity includes:
- post-course mentoring meetings (up to three one-hour remote sessions)
- review of at least one meeting or workshop plan developed by the participant after the course
- workshop feedback session to discuss improvements
Finally, if the participant meets all requirements, an IUCN/SSC Conservation Planning Specialist Group-endorsed certificate will be issued recognizing the participant as a conservation facilitator.
Cost for mentoring opportunity: $200. This fee can be added to registration during the application process.