Managing Ecological Data in R: Introduction to Data Science and the Art of Wrangling for Ecologists
- Basic coding in R for loops and custom functions
- How data science principles and workflow inform ecological data management
- Database structure and design
- Online task automation using Application Programming Interfaces (API)
- Managing ecological data in base R and tidyverse environments
- Communicating ecology with R scripts
- Version control (GitHub) command-line tools for file management
- Using R as a Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Visualizing data using ggplot and Leaflet
- Building reports and interactive web applications using rMarkdown, Shiny, and html.
Participants must be familiar with basics of programming in R either independently or with the help of pre-course assignments.
August 5-9, 2019
Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Front Royal, VA.
- Available Formats
Professional Training (SMSC 0532, 4.0 CEUs)
Professional Training: $1847.00*
*Professionals from certain countries are eligible for a reduced rate of $1280.50 which will automatically be reflected during the registration process.
Apply by May 27, 2019
Payment Deadline: June 10, 2019
Meet the Faculty
Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center
Once data reach a certain size or complexity ecologists often struggle with the data management process. As big data increasingly becomes a component of ecological study, there is a developing need for understanding how to maintain large and complex datasets, prepare data for analysis, and develop a reproducible workflow. In this five-day course, we will explore the management of ecological data using Program R. We will focus on the structure and linguistics of data in R and how to integrate R into a data science workflow, and explore how to think about ecological data in new ways. Through this process, participants will develop a flexible skillset for managing and exploring data. Each lesson will consist of a lecture and guided lab activities using real world ecological applications.
The total cost includes our Housing ($225.00) and Dining ($180) Packages and covers:
- Instruction and course materials.
- Airport pick-up and drop-off shuttle service at Dulles International Airport (IAD) at specific pre-arranged times. We do not provide ground transportation shuttle service to or from any other airports in the Washington, DC, region.
- Transportation for course activities.
- Daily full-service buffet at the SMSC Dining Commons.
- Housing at the SMSC Residential Facility, including a shared room with bathroom (single rooms available at twice the shared housing cost).
Interested in Commuting?
Participants with a documented, permanent address local to campus may elect to commute with permission from SMSC. Commuters are required to purchase a reduced meal plan ($50) which includes lunch and snack breaks for each day of instruction. Additional dining options are available and may be selected during registration. Email SCBItraining@si.edu for additional information.