SMSC Conservation Training Scholarships
Thanks to generous charitable donations from a range of SMSC partners, the SMSC is able to provide financial support for a few selected professionals to attend some of our conservation training courses. These awards are highly competitive–typically no more than one per course is awarded. Scholarship recipients are expected both to utilize their training to address conservation challenges in their countries, and to disseminate their new knowledge among regional colleagues. Scholarship awards will cover the course fee, as well as food and lodging during the course. Scholarship awards do not cover travel expenses.
Eligibility Requirements and Scholarship Application Procedure
- Applicant must obtain acceptance into the professional training course to which he/she has applied. These scholarships cannot be used towards graduate, ‘for-credit’ courses.
- Applicant must be early- to mid-career.
- Applicant’s personal statement of interest, submitted in his/her online course application, should clearly indicate the relevance of the course topic to his/her professional position or career goals.
When applying to a course using our online course application, check the box labeled “I am interested in being considered for an SMSC Conservation Training Scholarship.” If this box does not appear, that indicates there are no scholarships available for the course to which you are applying. If you meet the eligibility requirements above, we will send you a scholarship application form, requiring:
- A 500 word essay with a summary of your professional experience as it relates to the course topic, and information regarding your current position
- Outline of anticipated course and travel costs, and summary of funding sources you have applied to and funds secured
To be considered for a scholarship, you must apply before the posted application deadline for the course (found on individual course information pages). Applicants are informed of scholarship decisions as quickly as possible and no later than 1 week after the course’s application deadline.
Criteria for Selection
Priority is given to applicants who demonstrate the following:
- Significant relevance of the course material to their current position and/or career goals
- Institutional or organizational support for implementing and further disseminating what they learn
Requirements of Scholarship Recipients
If selected, the scholarship recipient will be required to:
- Attend the full course;
- Complete a survey and short essay six months after the course, relating to how the course has influenced their career and work;
Please contact SCBItraining@si.edu with any questions regarding SMSC Conservation Training Scholarships.