SMSC Conservation Training Scholarships
Thanks to generous charitable donations from a range of SMSC partners, the SMSC is able to provide financial support for a few selected professionals to attend some of our conservation training courses. These awards are highly competitive–typically no more than one per course is awarded. Scholarship recipients are expected both to utilize their training to address conservation challenges in their countries, and to disseminate their new knowledge among regional colleagues. Scholarship awards will cover the course fee, as well as food and lodging during the course. Scholarship awards do not cover any travel expenses.
Scholarship Award Review Procedure
- Applicant must obtain acceptance into the professional training course to which he/she has applied. These scholarships cannot be used towards graduate, ‘for-credit’ courses.
- Applicant must be early- to mid-career.
- Applicant’s personal statement of interest, submitted in his/her online course application, should clearly indicate the relevance of the course topic to his/her stated professional position, professional experience, and/or career goals.
When applying to a course using our online course application, check the box labeled “I am interested in being considered for an SMSC Conservation Training Scholarship.” If this box does not appear, that indicates there are no scholarships available for the course to which you are applying.
To be considered for a scholarship, you must apply to the course before that course’s posted “apply-by” date (found on individual course information pages). Note the importance of including scholarship-selection related content in your application essay. Applicants are informed of scholarship decisions as quickly as possible, usually no later than 1 week after the course’s application deadline.
Criteria for Selection
Priority is given to applicants who demonstrate the following:
- Significant relevance of the course material to their current position and/or career goals
- Institutional or organizational support for implementing and further disseminating what they learn
Requirements of Scholarship Recipients
If selected, the scholarship recipient will be required to:
- Attend the full course;
- Complete a survey and short essay six months after the course, relating to how the course has influenced their career and work.
Please contact SCBItraining@si.edu with any questions regarding SMSC Conservation Training Scholarships.